The flavour improves as they get colder and taste lovely with medlar jelly and salad. Enjoy!
What you need:
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 large onions
- 4 cayenne chilli peppers – or to suit taste
- 3 oz butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons of oregano (optional)
- 1lb grated cheddar cheese
- 6 medium eggs
- ½ pint milk
What to do:
- Put the oven on at 160
- Wash and chop the potatoes into very small chunks. Cover with water in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes until soft then drain and leave to cool
- Chop the onions and chillies finely
- Put the oil and butter into a large frying pan on a medium heat and add the onions, chillies, fennel seeds, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until all soft – stirring regularly then turn off heat and leave to cool (takes about 12 minutes)
- In a very large bowl, whisk with a fork the eggs, crème fraiche and milk together. Now add the cooled potatoes and then the cooled onion mixture. And finally, the cheese. Stir together until well mixed. Your mixture should be thick and lumpy!
- Grease well 2 x 12 holed muffin tins and carefully spoon the mixture into the muffin tins. The mix should make 24 muffins but this will depend on the size of your ingredients so is fine that it might make 18 or so……..
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until the muffins are firm to the touch and golden brown
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before removing the muffins carefully from the tins using a knife or spatula